01 octubre 2007

Faith - Fe

"Tener fe es tener la plena seguirdad de recibir aquello que se espera; es estar convencido de la realidad de cosas que no vemos. Nuestros antepasados fueron aprobados por Dios porque tuvieron fe.

Por fe sabemos que Dios formó el universo mediante su palabra, de modo que lo que ahora vemos fue hecho de cosas que no eran visibles." (Hebreos 11:1-3, Dios Habla Hoy)

So... this year is for sure turning out to be harder than I expected. Somehow, I'm not surprised. And... it's affecting me more than I had hoped. BUT with that said, I'm finding that the Lord is teaching me a lot about what it means to walk by faith. Surprise, surprise. :-) After going to the evening service at a church that is just a 10 minute walk from my apartment, I put on "The Holiday" and began to read part of Ney Bailey´s book, "Faith is Not a Feeling" (which by the way is a great book). I've read most of it before, but it was timely for now. In chapter 8, which is where I began, she recounts a conversation she had once with a counseling friend. Let me quote a little bit of it:

"One day his secretary, Carol, was telling him about all the difficult circumstances she was facing. When she finished, Don said, 'Carol, what you have just told me is not unusual. Seventy-five percent of life is made up of struggles, concerns, frustrations, and trials. That 75 percent will always be with you. You need to let that 75 percent be characterized not by unbelief but by faith, by believing God and hoping in Him.'"

Ney then talks about what she does in her difficult circumstances. (As a side note, forgive my horrendous spelling, which despite being almost entirely in english is a bit of a spanglish mess.) She says divides a sheet of paper into 4 quadrants, one listing the good, positive things she likes, one listing all the things she dislikes, the third listing her responses and reactions, and then what God might want to teach her and Bible verses to meet her in her need.

Now before continuing on about Ney Bailey's book, let me go back to the church service. In the sermon, the pastor talked about the fact that what is in our heart will come out sooner or later and that often in difficult situations we see things we dislike (or wish weren't there). Instead of excusing them as "not being who we really are," we should see that the Lord wants to bring them out so we'll actually see what is in our heart and allow him to change us.

So... going back to the book, as I read these words, I thought back to the sermon and began to make my list. Most of what I wrote wasn't brand new information about myself, but did shed some light on how I've been dealing with feeling in over my head and a bit alone. It also was encouraging to see what God IS doing in me and to be reminded of what is excited about being in over my head - that He has to be the One to work. It will be obvious that it is Him, not me.

An old college friend was a breath of fresh air the other day as he wrote me and said just that. Sadly, he's one of the few friends who has said that, instead of acting as if I'm insane to still be here. So... walking by faith and not by sight, trusting in God's greatness and that He is bigger than the obstacles I see around me, really trusting God and being courageous to step out in faith.

So, I have a litany of verses I'm going to begin reading and memorizing. But to begin, Joshua 1:9; Hebrews 11:1; and Hebrews 13:5-6 - "I am the one who tells you to be strong and courageous. Do not fear and do not be dismayed, for I, the Lord your God, will be with you wherever you may go." "Faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the certainty of things unseen." "(God said) 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.' Thus we can say with confidence, 'The Lord is my help; I will not fear. What can man do to me?'"

No hay comentarios: