07 mayo 2010

lentejas & neighborliness



















I've written before about my neighbor "joseph." He's an older widower who likes to cook and hunt and likes to blare his classical music and movie selections through the wall late at night. He also seems fairly intrigued by us, his "young," "cute," american neighbors. He's offered me his freshly killed pheasant, his maple syrup, and various culinary inventions. A few weeks ago he gave me some paella, sometime before he gave me some homemade paté and boquerones (I'm not sure of the english word, they're like anchovies, but a different little fish and with vinager, very yummy). Today it was lentejas, which I love. And somehow I love being cooked for. It's very neighborly. I just need to make some time to cook something that is worth sharing. I mean don't get me wrong, I do love to cook but recently I've neither had time nor been very hungry, so I have lived primarily on coffee, salads, apples & peanut butter, soy yogurt, pasta,... you know the easy to grab, semi-healthy food for one. I'm not much for baking, but I did make some mean scones not too long ago, so maybe I can whip some of those up for joseph this weekend.

No hay comentarios: