14 febrero 2012

book review - heart of evangelism

The Heart of Evangelism masterfully weaves together a balance of Scripture, life experience, and practical instruction. Barrs spurs personal life reflection, gently counters misconceptions within the church about evangelism, and sets forth a philosophy of evangelism. Honestly, it is the most complete and balanced book on evangelism I’ve ever read. Not only did it enrich my biblical framework for evangelism, but the Lord also used it to stop me again and again to reflect and examine my own life and heart. I wish I had read this book long ago.

There is much I could write in the way of application, yet a few points were particularly poignant to me. The other day I walked out of class infuriated about what I thought to be a misrepresentation of facts about Christianity in Europe, a place I love dearly. I was indignant both with the ignorance and the lack of action on the part of the church. As I began to journal and pour out my heart to the Lord, I found myself both questioning God’s judgment and also acting as if God wasn’t doing enough, in Barrs’ words, that he was “reluctant” in bringing people, specifically my parents, siblings, and Spanish friends, to faith. I found myself sitting in the first couple sessions of “Apologetics & Outreach” both with a broken heart for my family and friends and frustration toward the church for not acting and doing as I think it should. There was righteous anger and some valid concerns, but I was also acting out of self-idolatry. I was fearful that God wouldn’t do what I thought was right in the world and in the lives of those around me. It is thinking that my ways are better than God’s. It is forgetting who He is and how He has acted in history and in my own life.

In The Heart of Evangelism Barrs gently reminded me: “we become discouraged easily… But God is big enough to cope with the whole world, for He is infinite in His knowledge, His power, and His love… He can handle the big picture…” (47-48) He also corrected me by stating, “The impression we sometimes give with such questions is that we care more about people than God does, that we would do anything to make sure lost people are saved, whereas God is too laid-back about the whole problem of the destiny of unbelievers. It is as if we think we are eager to save people, but God is reluctant. But is it true that God is the one who is reluctant to reach people with the good news of Christ’s salvation?” (83). Through Jerram’s portraits of individuals in the Bible coming to faith, I was reminded again, “that God’s arm is not so short as to save,” and the profound implications of Christ’s incarnation, life, death, and resurrection. I was also reminded of my own shortcomings in caring for others. God is neither reluctant nor impotent. Christ is seated in heaven and actively present in the world and lives of today.

There is much more I could write about the way the Lord has used this book to cut to the heart of the matter in my life. Barrs articulated in 278 pages many of the things I’ve learned from ministering overseas in a very post-modern culture. Yet he did so in a way that was gentle, challenging, highly accessible, and practical. Again, it is a book I will pass on again and again.

No hay comentarios: