19 junio 2008

unmet expectations

It is really a crazy thing. I am a fairly laid back person and in Spain it takes a lot for me to become frustrated with the culture. I'm sure there are exceptions, but generally I at least like to think that I am fairly easy-going.

But, since arriving back to the States, it seems that my expectations are much, much higher and somehow things just haven't worked as smoothly as I expect. My roommate and I were talking about it today and the fact that we have probably idealized the "perfect" customer service found in the US.

Since I have been back it seems more often than not that customer service people or employees at various places have been somewhat rude, not just not helpful but downright rude. And since moving into the condo we're living in for a few weeks, it took a week and a half until we could get our internet & wifi to work, we now have a fuse fully blown and they don't want to call an electrician (so we have to move), our key was given to someone who lived in a different building (by mistake), and things just don't go fully smoothly.

As I write this all out, it seems obvious that life is full of little disruptions and bumps in the road, but in my mind, things go smoothly and without disruption in the US. It is only overseas that I have to have low expectations. :-) And presently I am a bit like a fish out of water in my own country. :-) The one thing that helps me feel a bit more normal about having emotions a bit out of proportion with what is going on is some of the stuff we've been discussing in this cross-cultural training I am helping with here in Florida. When we change environments (and particularly countries - even in moving back home for a time, or to another location in the US) we are kind of like a plant left out of soil or water for awhile. We have exposed roots. And thus we wilt a bit and feel unsettled. And even if we are loosely put into soil, it takes a bit of time to re-adapt. So it is normal, I am normal, just desiring normality a little more than normal.

Hmmm... if I look at the positive side, I guess this is/will be good for my growth and learning (about myself, God, life,...).

No hay comentarios: