Note: Picture by Nathan B HughesI failed my driving test on Monday. It makes me a little mad because I failed it because I didn't correctly understand the rule for a stop sign with no line on the ground.
Instead of stopping AT the stop sign, you are supposed to PASS the stop sign without stopping and go into the intersection until you can see clearly for 30-40 meters in both directions and then STOP completely (even though you may be halfway in the intersection). If you do stop at the stop sign by accident, or if you stop before the point where you can see cars in both directions fairly far down the street in BOTH directions, you have to come to a complete stop. If you pause at any moment to look without coming to a complete stop (even if you have already stopped once or even twice), then you technically have RUN THE STOP SIGN and you FAIL the test, which is what happened with me. I stopped twice (although somehow I didn't realize that I had to stop halfway into the intersection (because it seemed dangerous to me, go figure)) but stopped too early the second time, then inched forward and paused (NOT STOPPING FULLY) and so I failed the test. It took all of about 5 minutes.
In other words, long story short, I have to go back this next Monday to try again. PLEASE PLEASE pray for me.
I just got back from another pricey driving class (40 Euros) and the instructor, as normal, yelled at me a ton, asking me what was wrong with me and why I didn't listen every time I did the slightest thing wrong. My main problems were not being able to see far enough on the roads (you have to see the ENTIRE car, 30-40 meters away, which means that if you can only see the nose of the car or if bushes obstruct part of the car in anyway then you CAN'T see clearly, which is obviously grounds for yelling and insults (since negative reinforcement is the way to go)), when I had to stop quickly pushing the clutch BEFORE the brake (or at all before the car was going to stall), and once in awhile putting one of my hands inside the wheel to turn, instead of ALWAYS keeping them FULLY on the outside.
I am a bit fed up with all of this and ended up crying for half my lesson today. It infuriates me to no end that when I ask him to explain something, he always says, "I already told you that (which is generally NOT the case, or even if it is, I obviously DIDN'T understand if fully)." His other great responses are, "Of course" or "That's your problem, you're in Spain now and yet you act as if you're still in the US" or insulting the way my dad taught me 16 years ago. Oh, and if I do mess up, at least not stopping in the correct spot (due to a stop sign or yield) of course he SLAMS on the brakes to prove his point. This would be better if he then would actually explain himself well, so that I get what he's trying to impress upon me. Oh, the joys of relearning to drive! And for a mere 400+ Euros!
It's true that I am driving a lot more relaxed these days, have gotten a lot more used to his critique, and think that I may finally know all the tricks they could pull. I just want this to be over. I don't really like how tense I get while driving and for a couple hours afterward. God-willing this will all be over NEXT Monday. Seriously, do pray for me.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario