24 diciembre 2008

Hope

Today, Christmas Eve, I am both reminded of God's goodness and my desperate need for him. I am doing well and yet my roommmate, who is a bit sad today, basically the same as me two days ago, reminded of my desperate need for Jesus to redeem me and to give me life and peace, now just as much as ever.

I am thankful that Jesus came and dwelt among us. I am thankful that He is the Price of Peace and Lord of Lords. Today I learned a friend is in the process of a divorce, after only a year of marriage, and obviously both feels very broken and a bit distraught. She needs to be reminded of the hope of the world this Christmas, as do I. Last night and today I encountered Rosa, a woman who begs on the street by mine. I brought her food so she could have a real Christmas dinner, but it still was a pretty humble offering. I SO wish I could do more, that I could help her to get on her feet, that I could give her a home and a job. All I have to offer her is the hope of Jesus and some food. Honestly it breaks my heart and yet it reminds me of my humble state and my need for Jesus.

So, in light of all of that, here are a couple hymns that came to mind, which have an immense amount of truth in them. Enjoy & MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

"Be still, My soul" - Katharina Von Schlegel, Born 1697

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heav'nly friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know his love, his heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From all his own fullness all he takes away.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hast'ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last



"Be Thou My Vision"

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee, Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle-shield, sword for my fight,
Be Thou my dignity, Thou my delight.
Thou my soul's shelter, Thou my high tower.
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
Thou mine inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, my victory won,
May I reach heaven's joys, O bright heav'ns Son!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my vision, O ruler of all.

No hay comentarios: