19 enero 2011

my little miss sunshine moment

This morning I got up and went to my car to drive to a town outside of the city for a meeting. As I was nearing my car a construction worker asked if I was leaving. I said yes and he said, "Oh good. That fixes our problem. We needed somewhere to put construction supplies and all the parking spaces are filled." I began to start the car, but it wouldn't start. Eventually, after about five tries I got back out and told him that I wasn't sure that I was going anywhere. I asked if he had jumper cables and he said no, he would have if they would have brought the truck, but no. He said they could help push the car. I asked if that really worked. He said, "Of course, you just have to put it in second," and called a few other guys to come out. They helped me un-parallel park, pushing the car. They then pushed me down the hill a bit and then got behind and pushed it up the hill forward until they told me to put it in second and start the car. It worked and all was well. But, that is the first time I've ever started a car like that.

And, by the way, my car is fine. I just need to remember to drive it more often than once every three weeks. I don't think I've driven it since Christmas, which then is obvious why it wouldn't start. (And, I might add, this is the second time this has happened. I'd rather not admit this, but when I came back from the US after the summer, my car was dead as a nail, until the nice guy from my insurance company came and jumped the car.) I should learn. (Although, to my credit, this summer was more like six weeks, not just three.)

So that's my little story of the morning. Soon after starting I had to stop, to not run over a lady crossing the street, but all was well. The car kept going and all was well. It was one of those happy endings. Thank God for nice construction workers in the right place at the right time.

No hay comentarios: