11 enero 2011

Wait For It...



Okay, I love this song. And it's in my head right now. I'm taking a short detour from finishing up a few papers I need to write.

I appreciate the lyrics and the fact the commentary on our "instant" lives today of smartphones, e-mail, tweets, blogs,... and our becoming accustom with instant replies, things coming easy, and not waiting. Anyway, I could write more but should get back to what I was doing before this musical interlude.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not all against technology nor some of the things that simplify life. I, for instance, am LOVING my new iphone and the fact that I actually spend less time messing with e-mail and such, or at least less computer time on these things, because I can now check them on the bus, metro, walking, while I'm waiting, or whenever. I can reply back in the moment and be done with it. Technology is good if it's a tool and not a burden. But I DO also appreciate the old-fashion slowness of writing letters, camping, the outdoors, I love that in Spain I have to hang out my clothes to dry instead of having a dryer, that I walk and take public transportation instead of driving, that I make food from scratch (even if it takes longer), and that people take time to just be with people and to just enjoy life. I'm not trying to make a US - Spain comparison here, because there are plenty of good things about the US. I just am making the point that the art of "waiting," even the unwanted waiting of waiting in lines and waiting on people is something we'd do well not to lose. While I'm rambling, I must say, I am not by any means the most patient person. I like things to be efficient, quick, effortless,... But living here in Spain has taught me a lot more patience. It's taught me to not get so ruffled by unexpected interruptions in my day, or things that just take longer or take more hassle than expected. I've become much more easy-going, much more go with the flow. So, anyway, there are some of my random ramblings, which I know are still slightly under the influence of nyquil (see previous post). Enjoy the music. :-)

No hay comentarios: