so, i recently got the following forwarded e-mail with a note attached by one of the previous forwardees saying, "good site to check out":"www.FamilyWatchDog.us - Pass this on!!
When you visit the above site you can enter your address and a map will pop up with your house as a small icon of a house. There will be red, blue and green dots surrounding your entire neighborhood. When you click on these dots a picture of a criminal will appear with his or her home address and the description of the crime he or she has committed.
The best thing is that you can show your children these pictures and see how close these people live to your home or school.
This site was developed by John Walsh from Americas Most Wanted. This is another tool we can use to help us keep our kids safe.
Please pass this on to everyone!!!"
I think my two main issues with this e-mail are (1) the suggestion to show your children the pictures and see how close these people live to your home or school, and (2) the complete violation of privacy and incriminating people for life.
With the second point, isn't that the reason we have jails and criminal justice systems, to keep dangerous people off the streets and to give them a fair and just trial. Yes there are problems in this system which should be addressed and changed. But also, if someone pays their time, shouldn't we give them the opportunity of redemption. Maybe I am too trusting, but I think I would prefer that to the alternative.
With the first point, I'm not sure that instilling even more fear that what the news and other media already create is good or healthy. I mean, yes, we should be honest with our kids and talk about real life, but in most neighborhoods in the US (again maybe I am just naive) I don't know that there is a hard criminal lurking on each corner that we should be on the watch for. And what if these "criminals" have families or kids of their own. What if it was a small, petty crime? Should we ostracize them too? Or paint a scarlet letter on their door?
No, I am not saying there are no problems in the US or in the world. And, no, I am not saying we should be fully oblivious and not talk to our kids about not taking candy from strangers (+ etc.,), but I'm not sure this would actually be helpful. I think it would be more hurtful.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario