30 marzo 2008

thoughts, faces, indiscreetness

From my friend kelly's blog (with a picture above from a friend's facebook page):

"Every once in a while I have a realization that my face and body betray my true feelings. So much so that I wonder if I actually voiced the words I was thinking in my head without actually moving my lips...Just today I was talking with this guy at work and I got the sense that my face was revealing too much because he just smiled at me, kind of strangely. When I realized I was blushing I got even more flushed.

Communication experts say that 70 percent of the meaning we convey in conversation is through body language; 20 percent is through tone of voice; and only 10 of meaning is expressed through actual words. It's interesting how much meaning is never communicated in media like e-mail or the internet. And it makes sense, the people who I believe know and understand me best are the people that see me everyday. They can read my reactions, my facial expressions, my posture and know what I am thinking without any exchange of words.

Perhaps then, it's not that strange that I often feel that my face and body reveal my true thoughts and feelings before I open my mouth to say a word."

I posted this because I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I have been told quite a few times that I'm a pretty easy person to read. Whether I like it or not, my face tends to give me away. My sister, in fact, has gotten upset with me a few times because unbeknownst to me my fact is saying what I am thinking but not saying (and what I actually intended to keep to myself). Sometime it is a bit of an exaggeration of my real emotion, but more often than not what my face says probably is in fact what I am thinking.

So, yesterday I helped with a bbq / all day concert of 21 madrid bands. It was amazing. There were rappers, really good rappers by the way, hip hop, heavy metal, indie, acoustic, pop, salsa/rock/ska mixes,... It was great. And part of what was great was that I got to see a bigger picture of how God is working in Madrid and how he is using ágape in that. Another plus was seeing a band that is quickly becoming one of my favorites here - "My Dear Flotsam."

Anyway, I can't say that I'm the biggest fan of metal and after several hours of varied music (and a bit of sleep deprivation) I was hoping it wasn't too apparent (although i really doubt anyone was checking out my face) what I was thinking. Now, I was doing my best to appreciate the music, or more those playing it and those dancing to it, but I was exhausted and if I didn't LOVE the music it was a bit harder to remain engaged. Despite my exhaustion and difficulty getting into the metal, Madrid has some incredibly talented upcoming bands. And I might say, so does Palma de Mallorca (My Dear Flotsam) and Barcelona (Praxiz).

No hay comentarios: