31 mayo 2009

a world at war



"...we had no idea that we were born into a world at war." - John Eldredge, Waking The Dead












Here are just a few quotes from a book I just picked up:

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." - Jesus of Nazareth, John 10:10

"After a while, the accumulation of event after event that we do not like and do not understand erodes our confidence that we are part of something grand and good, and reduces us to a survivalist mind-set." John Eldredge, Waking the Dead

"I am the bread of life... Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." Jesus, John 6:48 & 7:38

"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." Psalm 27:13

"'I tell you the truth,' Jesus said to them, 'no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age and, in the age to come, eternal life." Luke 18:29-30

"Godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" 1 Timothy 4:8

"Just as Christ was raised form the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may life new lives." Romans 6:4

"When we hear the words eternal life, most of us tend to interpret that as 'a life that waits for us in eternity.' But eternal means 'unending,' not 'later.' The Scriptures use the term to mean we can never lose it. It's a life that can't be taken from us. The offer is life, and that life starts now." John Eldredge, Waking the Dead

"...God intends life for you. But right now that life is opposed... There is a thief. He comes to steal and kill and destroy. In other words, yes, the offer is life, but you're going to have to fight for it because there's an Enemy in your life with a different agenda.

There is something set against us.
We are at war.

How I've missed this for so long is a mystery to me. Maybe I've overlooked it; maybe I've chosen not to see. We are at war. I don't like that fact any more than you do, but the sooner we come to terms with it, the better hope we have of making it through to the life we do want. This is not Eden. you probably figured that out. This is not Mayberry; this is not Seinfeld's world; this is not Survivor. The world in which we life is a combat zone, a violent clash of kingdoms, a bitter struggle unto death... you were born into a world at war, and you will life all your days in the midst of a great battle, involving all the forces of heaven and hell and played out here on earth." John Eldredge, Waking the Dead

No hay comentarios: