I went running this evening with a friend and as we talked about how we've been it occurred to me that I have been fluctuating between feeling relaxed and taking things as they come and feeling overwhelmed. Granted I've been a bit tired this week, which it occurred to me might have something with the fact that I haven't been taking my vitamins recently, but when I've been overwhelmed and anxious, I've also had a hard time being still before the Lord. There are some reasons that I won't go into here, some things weighing on me, but I decided that it would make sense to come back and spend some time with Jesus being still. :-)Here is some of what I looked at...
"Be still, my soul, the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul, thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still my soul, thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past
Thy hope thy confidence, let nothing shake
All now mysterious shall be bright at last
Be still my soul, the waves and winds do know
His voice who rules them while he dwelt below
In the quiet of your presence,
Where my soul can find its rest
His Spirit is refreshing and my heart is truly blest
I can place my burdens at your feet,
Knowing that is where they stay
And trust you to take them all away.
Be still my soul, the hour is hasting on
When we shall be forever with the Lord
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone
Sorrows forgot, love's purest love restored
Be still my soul, where change and tears are past
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last."
I read back through "The Daily Office" as it has some great prayers and scripture to meditate upon:

Prayer
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen
Opening sentences
One thing I have asked of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life; to behold the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple.
Call & Response
Who is it that you seek? We seek the Lord our God.
Do you seek Him with all your heart? Amen. Lord, have mercy.
Do you seek Him with all your soul? Amen. Lord, have mercy.
Do you seek Him with all your mind? Amen. Lord, have mercy.
Do you seek Him with all your strength? Amen. Christ, have mercy.
Declaration of faith
To whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God.
Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory.
Scripture readings, Meditation, Prayers for others
Canticle
Christ, as a light illumine and guide me.
Christ, as a shield overshadow me.
Christ under me; Christ over me;
Christ beside me on my left and my right.
This day be within and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all-powerful.
Be in the heart of each to whom I speak;
in the mouth of each who speaks unto me.
This day be within and without me,
lowly and meek, yet all-powerful.
Christ as a light; Christ as a shield;
Christ beside me on my left and my right.
Blessing
May the peace of the Lord Christ go with you,
wherever He may send you.
May He guide you through the wilderness,
protect you through the storm.
May He bring you home rejoicing at the wonders He has shown you.
May He bring you home rejoicing once again into our doors.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen
---
Prayer
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen
Opening Sentences
Let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us.
Establish Thou the work of our hands;
establish Thou the work of our hands.
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name;
Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done; on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen
Declaration of faith
We believe and trust in God the Father Almighty.
We believe and trust in Jesus Christ His Son.
We believe and trust in the Holy Spirit.
We believe and trust in the Three in One.
Canticle
Teach us, dear Lord, to number our days; that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. Oh, satisfy us early with Thy mercy,that we may rejoice and be glad all of our days. And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us; and establish Thou the work of our hands. And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us; and establish Thou the work of our hands, dear Lord.
Blessing
Let nothing disturb thee, nothing affright thee;
all things are passing, God never changeth!
Patient endurance attaineth to all things;
who God possesseth in nothing is wanting;
alone God sufficeth.
In the name of the Father,and of the Son,and of the Holy Spirit. Amen
---
Prayer
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen
Opening sentences
My soul waits for the Lord more than those who watch for the morning, more than those who watch for the morning.
Call & Response
Out of the depths I have cried to You. O Lord, hear my voice.
With my whole heart I want to praise You. O Lord, hear my voice.
If you, Lord, should mark iniquities: Who could stand? who could stand?
I will wait for the Lord. My soul waits, and in His word do I hope.
Expressions of faith
Lord, You have always given bread for the coming day;
and though I am poor, today I believe.
Lord, You have always given strength for the coming day;
and though I am weak, today I believe.
Lord, You have always given peace for the coming day;
and though of anxious heart, today I believe.
Lord, You have always kept me safe in trials;
and now, tried as I am, today I believe.
Lord, You have always marked the road for the coming day;
and though it may be hidden, today I believe.
Lord, You have always lightened this darkness of mine;
and though the night is here, today I believe.
Lord, You have always spoken when time was ripe;
and though you be silent now, today I believe.
Scripture readings, Meditation, Prayers for others
Canticle
In the shadow of Your wings I will sing Your praises, O Lord.
The Lord is my light, my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the refuge of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
In the shadow of Your wings I will sing Your praises, O Lord.
One thing I ask of the Lord, one thing I seek;
to dwell in the presence of my God, to gaze on Your holy place.
In the shadow of Your wings I will sing Your praises, O Lord.
I believe I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. O wait for the Lord! Have courage and wait, wait for the Lord.
In the shadow of Your wings I will sing Your praises, O Lord.
Blessing
See that ye be at peace among yourselves, my children, and love one another. Follow the example of good men of old and God will comfort you and help you, both in this world and in the world which is to come.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen
---
I enjoy praying through this at times, as it stills my heart, reminds me of God's character and that He in fact is trustworthy and worthy of praise and full obedience and that He is the one I desire, the one I desire to trust above all else, even though I may waiver.
That's the same reason why I enjoy reading from "The Valley of Vision," a collection of prayers from the puritans, full of depth, wisdom, and a close walk with the Lord. As I listened to some old hymns and read, I was reminded of Hebrews 12:1-3, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted."
I am reminded of my brothers and sisters in the faith here in Madrid, back home, around the world, in centuries past and in centuries to come and the great faith that the Lord gave them. I am also reminded of our Savior, the Lord Jesus, and his immense and profound and deep, deep love that "endured the cross" and then rose again. He conquered death and gives us life. Praise the Lord!
Psalm 37| Fret not yourself... Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday.
Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself... Fret not yourself; it tends only to evil... those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land... the meek shall inherit the land and delight themselves in abundant peace... the Lord upholds the righteous.
The Lord knows the days of the blameless, and their heritage will remain forever; they are not put to shame in evil times; in the days of famine they have abundance...
The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand...
Turn away from evil and do good; so shall you dwell forever. For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his saints. They are preserved forever... The righteous shall inherit the land and dwell upon it forever. The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom, and his tongue speaks justice. The law of his God is in his heart; his steps do not slip...
Wait for the Lord and keep his way, and he will exalt you to inherit the land; you will look on when the wicked are cut off... The salvation of the righteous is from the Lord; he is their stronghold in the time of trouble. The Lord helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in him."
Psalm 46 | "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns. The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah
Come, behold the works of the Lord, how he has brought desolations on the earth. He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the chariots with fire. “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah"
Psalm 23 | "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever."
Psalm 34.8 | "Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!"
Psalm 42 | "As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God? My tears have been my food day and night, while they say to me all the day long, “Where is your God?” These things I remember, as I pour out my soul: how I would go with the throng and lead them in procession to the house of God with glad shouts and songs of praise, a multitude keeping festival.
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.
My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you from the land of Jordan and of Hermon, from Mount Mizar. Deep calls to deep at the roar of your waterfalls; all your breakers and your waves have gone over me. By day the Lord commands his steadfast love, and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life. I say to God, my rock: “Why have you forgotten me? Why do I go mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?” As with a deadly wound in my bones, my adversaries taunt me, while they say to me all the day long, “Where is your God?”
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God."
Psalm 43 | "Vindicate me, O God, and defend my cause against an ungodly people, from the deceitful and unjust man deliver me! For you are the God in whom I take refuge; why have you rejected me? Why do I go about mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?
Send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling! Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy, and I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God.
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God."
Psalm 56.3-4, 8-11 | "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?...
You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? Then my enemies will turn back in the day when I call. This I know, that God is for me. In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can man do to me?"
:-)
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario